The UIL has guidelines concerning gifts and donations including but not limited to the following:
- Money given to a school cannot be earmarked for any particular expense. Booster clubs may make recommendations, but cash or other valuable consideration must be given to the school to use at its discretion.
- Coaches and directors of UIL academics, athletics and fine arts may not accept more than $500 in money, product or service from any source in recognition of or appreciation for coaching, directing or sponsoring UIL activities. The $500 limit is cumulative for a calendar year and is not specific to any one particular gift.
- Funds are to be used to support school activities. To provide such funding for non-school activities would violate UIL rules and the public trust through which funds are earned.
- Booster clubs cannot give anything to students, including awards.
- Unlike music and academic booster clubs, athletic booster club funds shall not be used to support athletic camps, clinics, private instruction, or any activity outside of the school.
- Athletes are restricted by the Athletic Amateur Rule, which states that athletes cannot accept money or valuable consideration for participating in a UIL sport or for allowing their names to be used in promoting a product, plan or service related to a UIL contest.
- Academics has no amateur rule.
The above guidelines were derived from the UIL website. The information documented above is not all-inclusive and is subject to change by the UIL. Therefore, for the most up-to-date version of this information and to find out about other UIL guidelines, please go to the UIL’s website at www.uiltexas.org.
In addition, the UIL has the following publications online:
UIL Booster Club Guidelines:
Parent Information Manual:
Subchapter M on Eligibility which contains the Amateur Rule that applies to Athletics:
Subchapter N-O which includes the Awards Rule
UIL Constitution and Contest Rules
If you have questions concerning UIL guidelines, please contact:
University Interscholastic League
P.O. Box 8028, Austin, TX 78713